Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Preparing Drupal for Subversion

Have you ever wondered if you could put your web site/application running on a CMS up on a Subversion? That is what I have been working this week and I believe that I have come up with a solution.

The Drupal system, the Kukui cup app, that I have been working on now needs to be under a version control. One of the reason why I am doing this is because I am now working on the project as a group, rather than as an individual. Another reason is so that everybody else in the world can check this out if he/she desires.

My very first approach to version control my system was by putting it up on the subversion repository on my Google Project hosting website. This seemed to me, was the right way to do it at first. It turns out; however, that uploading all of Kukuicup system's content onto the repository requires a large amount of time. So much time that it seemed like my SVN client has stopped working all together. To my surprise, the size of the Kukuicup system happens to be around 21Mb, which I figure accounts for the painfully long upload time. I decided that this was not acceptable.

I realized after some thought that in fact we rarely make any changes to the web contents folder to begin with. The only time we make any changes is when we add new modules to the system or modify any of the CSS files. Therefore, I decided to simply compress the entire web contents folder and upload it onto the downloads section, which can be done with considerably less amount of time. The only remaining problem now is to figure out how to version control the database. I plan to achieve this by simply uploading the MySQL dump file to the repository. This would be useful since we will be making a lot of changes onto the database. The dump file is currently not uploaded to the repository for some security concerns, but I hope to have it up very soon. Following is an image of our Google Project hosting site.



















Following is the link to the project site if you would like to check it out:
http://code.google.com/p/kukuicup-drupal/

No comments:

Post a Comment