Monday, November 23, 2009

Eco-Depot 1.0 Release

Our new Eco-Depot project is sort of an addition to our previously build WattDopot program. The new project implements the Wicket language which is used to connect Java with an html page. Wicket proved to be an extremely useful tool, while it was very difficult to learn initiallly. I am not sure about other people, but it took me hours of reading the "Wicket in Action" to finally understand how to use this new tool. It seems as though that I didn't have enough time to actually use this new tool to its full potential, as the code I punched out seemed that it simply does what its supposed to do.

This was also our first project to work in a group of 4. I was initially excited with the idea, though as time went on, and after realizing I had many other classwork to complete over the same week, it turned out to be quite of a stressful experience. I realized that we were very late in staring our project, and that we could have started much earlier if we had communicated better. I am not sure if it is because the team size got larger, but we weren't able to communicate with each other well, which delayed our project significantly.

One big mistake that we made in my humble opinion is that we never discussed about the design of our project thorougly. As I began working on my part of the project, I realized that I had no idea how other teamates wanted the project to look like. It was already late in the week so I decided that I would write down my initial design and commit the change, and see if everybody likes it. I am still not sure if that was a good move, but it was a move atleast, that was all that mattered to me at that point.

The rest of the project I think went rather smoothly, compared to how it was earlier.
The only problem was that I had work on a different project while my team-mates were working intensely on the project. I got lost momentarily then, but other than that the project came out quite well I believe.



I liked how our project came out, and I hope that for our next project we can improve on our teamwork a bit more. Our project "Eco-Depot" can be downloaded here.

No comments:

Post a Comment